tailwheel instructors

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

iowa

tailwheel instructors

Post by iowa »

do any of you have problems
finding someone to give you
your biannual cuzz of your T.W.?
i've heard this is getting harder.
fortunately, my brother is
a flight instructor, so...
i swap biannuals/physicals
with him every two years!!
dave
1951 170A 1468D SN 20051
1942 L-4B 2764C USAAC 43-572 (9433)
AME #17747
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I have a question as to the instructor being tailwheel certified. If I am PIC, I will be landing the airplane. Does he have to be able to land?

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Yes every other year I go through this. Doing it right now. My biannaul expired in December and my understanding is I would have to have a tailwheel endorsed instructor because I can not be PIC.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
Iceman07

Post by Iceman07 »

Here is the way I understand it:

If you are current, the CFI does not have to have the tail-wheel endorsment, but he will not be able to log that time as PIC, only you.

If you are not current, the CFI must act as PIC, therfore, he must have the endorsment. And then, technically, you both can log it as PIC (provided you "pass" the Flight review, of course)

BTW - If there any C170A members in the Northeast that need a FR, l have the CFI/MEI.

Hey, now, there's a question for you: Can I give a BFR in a multiengine tail-wheel airplane? My guess would be yes, as I have the MEI and the tail-wheel endorsment, and as far as I know there is no such thing as a multi-engine tail-wheel endorsment...
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
Plummit

Post by Plummit »

Iceman07 wrote: and as far as I know there is no such thing as a multi-engine tail-wheel endorsment...
It's called a DC-3 rating! ;-) BTW, you can do your flight review in any aircraft you are rated to fly, so technically you can fly a 152 tricycle gear A/C for the flight review.

regards

-Marc
Iceman07

Post by Iceman07 »

Plummit wrote:It's called a DC-3 rating!
If I ever win the lottery (which is highly doubtful, as we don't play it) I would love to have the DC-3 Type on my certificate!
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
iowa

Post by iowa »

i have 1.5hr
in a DC-3!
iowa
1951 170A 1468D SN 20051
1942 L-4B 2764C USAAC 43-572 (9433)
AME #17747
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This is an amendment to my previous (partially-incorrect) response.

There is no such thing as "passing" or "failing" a BFR. The BFR is "satisfactorily completed", the logbook is so noted, signed by the CFI, and that is all there is to it. (Don't forget the one-hour of required ground school.)

The CFI must be tailwheel qualified.

From the FAA Frequently Asked Questions Website:
( faculty.chicagogsb.edu/.../Data_and_Programs/CFI/FAA%20Frequently%20asked%20questions%20FAQ61_72205.doc )

QUESTION: The situation is a flight instructor has asked the question whether he can give a flight review in a tailwheel airplane and yet he has not previously met the additional training requirements for operating a tailwheel airplane [i.e., § 61.31(i)].

ANSWER: Ref. § 61.1(b)(2); § 61.56(c)(1); No, a flight instructor cannot give a flight review in a tailwheel airplane unless he has complied with § 61.31(i). Per § 61.56(c)(1), it states, in pertinent part, “. . . by an authorized instructor . . . .” Per § 61.1(b)(2)(ii), it states, in pertinent part, “. . . in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her flight instructor certificate . . . .” The flight instructor would not be considered an “authorized instructor” for giving a flight review in a tailwheel airplane.
{Q&A-551}
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Perhaps we should have a list of tail wheel endorsed CFIs who will give BFRs in a 170.

Any thoughts on this George.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

OK, I'll start a list in the Library. (Perhaps we should change the title of that section. I'd like to begin a collection of dnloadable pdf files.)
I am a CFI-A,I and I conduct BFR's. I will be offering service to TIC170A Members at the GLS convention, for a donation to TIC170A. Any other CFI's attending?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Yes George I'll be attending. Wish I could find time to do BFRs at the convention but there is never enough time it seems. I'd think you'd have even less time them me at Galveston.

Having said that if I was asked or heard of a member who needed a BFR I'd make every effort to make sure it got accomplished.

George as for the list perhaps we need to collect this info with the membership info and put it in the directory like we identify people who are willing to host a member.

In addition to that we could have a simple thread here in the members only section. PDFs are another matter with some complications of maintenance for the list administrator.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

gahorn wrote:I am a CFI-A,I and I conduct BFR's. I will be offering service to TIC170A Members at the GLS convention, for a donation to TIC170A. Any other CFI's attending?
Bruce, he didn't say he was offering BFRs, he said he was "offering service". How long does it take to sign a log book, he could even come up presigned stickers to be applied. :D
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
cfiatzph

Post by cfiatzph »

If your current in the aircraft and have a good BFR any instructor that holds single engine CFI (notice I did'nt say land, or sea, no such thing) can do the BFR, regardless of tailwheel endorsement or currency. If you are not current, (landings/bfr etc) the instructor will need to have at least a CFI single engine, a tailwheel endorsement (unless grandfathered) and 3 landings to a full stop within the last 90 days. No matter which situation, whether your current or the instructor is (regardless of whether you have a tailwheel endorsement or he/she does) you will both be able to log PIC time. PIC time is confusing the reg basically states certified/rated in the aircraft to log PIC time. IE before you have your private you cannot log PIC unless solo. Once your certified (category/class/type) regardless of the endorsement required for the operation to be LEGAL you can LOG PIC time as the reg states certified or rated and a tailwheel endorsement is neither, its a endorsement requried to operate the aircraft. So if I am the sole manipulator of the controls on a Cessna 421 (high altititude endorsement required) I don't have one but I have a Multi Engine Land Rating. I can't be the legal PIC but I can log PIC time as I am sole manipulator and rated in the aircraft. I would need to have another pilot in the other seat with the AMEL and high altitude, high performance, and complex endorsments.

I am in good demand on the airport as most people think they need a CFI with a tailwheel endorsement even if they are current. I would never do one if I did'nt have a tailwheel endorsement and only if was confident in my tailwheel abilites. Too much can happen as a instructor. I've found that you can't depend on alot of people to keep you from end up six feet under. In the last 1 1/2 I have done 4 tailwheel insurance checkouts. Numerous BFRS. Even a Lucsombe Defender. L-3s, Cubs, Rawdons, Stinsons, 120's, Taylorcrafts. etc. Its a lot of fun, as the commitment is'nt as much as dragging a private through the whole thing.
cfiatzph

Post by cfiatzph »

N9149A wrote:Perhaps we should have a list of tail wheel endorsed CFIs who will give BFRs in a 170.

Any thoughts on this George.
Good idea, I need to renew my membership but I am located in Central Florida and would be happy to do a BFR for any of the members.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cfiatzph... Your Instructor's certificate is only valid if accompanied by your pilot's certificate.... and is only valid for the same aircraft for which your pilot's certificate is valid. You may not perform a BFR in a tailwheel airplane unless you are tailwheel qualified/endorsed. See the comments and FAR references quoted above.