C-145-2 engine 0-300D crank?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessnaford

C-145-2 engine 0-300D crank?

Post by cessnaford »

i just had my engine majored and i am afraid i have a bigger problem than before. i see that the yellow tag from the crank that the IA used is from an 0-300D. what model of crankshaft is allowed in a continental C-145-2 ? i was thinking only a C-145 & 0-300A was legal. responce and location of literature would be a great help.

thanks bill
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Using the same prop?? The 0300D has a 6 bolt prop flange and the 145 has an 8 bolt flange.

Joe
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Joe is right. If you didn't buy a new prop then you don't have a crank from an 0-300D. Perhaps the yellow tag was miss marked. Human error.

The C-145-2/0300A crank and the 0-300D crank are interchangeable as far as fit and function with the exception of the prop. Legality is another issue.

Essentially you would be converting the A model to the C model. Or from another view point repairing the A model with a D model crank that makes it conform to the C model specification but the engine retains the A model designation. It's a paperwork exercise.

I know this has been done and can be done but just never remember the legal course to do it. I'm sure some who has that info at the tip of their tongue will speak up.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ron74887

Post by ron74887 »

Bill, what has been said is correct. However you can change and A engine to any other or Vise-vers according to Continental by designating the change Ex. O-300AcD, by stamping on the data plate c designating the change and D to the new model. it can be from and a-b, a-c, a-d. or d-a by changing the crank etc. In your case, if you had to buy a new prop and still have the original starter it would change from 0-330AcC. the STC the Assoc has will cover your engine. all cases are interchangable functionslly (as Bruce said) therefore any case can be used to replace a cracked or damaged one. Ron
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!
Bruce Fenstermacher

To expand on Ron's comments and add something I forgot. If you find that in fact you have an engine that is a C or D model you need a basis of approval to put it on your airplane.

The STC the association owns thanks to Ron, is the STC that allows the engine to be installed on the airframe. It is not the authority that allows the crank to be installed in the engine to create a different model. That authority according to Ron is Continental.

Bruce Fenstermacher

Our very own MX library contains the text of the latest service bulletin from TCM regarding conversion of one dash number or letter designation to another within the same engine. It has the instructions how to accomplish this which Ron outlined above.

http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2303

cessnaford

eight hole flange

Post by cessnaford »

i believe the crank has an eight hole flange (it is currently at the airport 30 miles away). would that mean that it is indeed mislabled? at that point can common sense take over or does the crank then have to go back to the shop it came from to be relabled appropriatley? either way i have since changed IA's (the last one only did the engine in a 13 month period) and i will get with my new mechanic and make him aware of it.
Bruce Fenstermacher

If your prop and the flange has 8 bolts then it is mis-labeled if it says it's from an 0300D.

Who inspected and filled out the yellow tag? If a repair station then I would contact them and ask them to pull their records and try to determine what crank you have.

The options are pretty limited I think. It could either be a C-145-2 undampened crank or one with dampeners. It would be nice to know what one you had because the size of the approved generator is dependent on that.

Engines with cranks without dampeners are limited to a 25 amp generator and one would think alternators as well. Engines with dampeners can use up to a 35 amp generator and presumable alternators of larger sizes with approval.

mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

If you want, call my buddy up in NH, he overhauls Continentals. He would be more than happy to try helping you to figure out what you got.
Ill pm you his number.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

For ------ sake ! If the damn crank works, who in hell (other than some club members) gives a damn? The Federal Fuzz is all locked up down there in their FSDO keeping the talliban and Al Quida at bay, and probably will not be out looking for bootleg dash numbers on the engines of sixty year old airplanes in the immediate future.
If your IA is being picky, fire his mangy ass and find one with some common sense. They are everywhere!
Good gosh, fellas, we're working with antique airplanes here. Lets ease off and keep em flying.
BL
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Thanks Blueloader you are exactly right. I am sure that if you look closely enough almost all 170s have some minor problems that make them unairworthy in the eyes of the feds who don't spend their own money to keep a plane flying. The same goes for pre buys if you used the standard some of the fellas on this forum have you would probably pay for half of an average 170 in pre buy fees before you found one which would pass a pre buy. You need to use common sense when looking at and flying these planes. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Common sense is a tricky thing. Personally, I like my IA to be picky; it helps me believe I'm being as careful as I can be around airplanes. That's my common sense. 8)
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Bruce Fenstermacher

Hey BL I'm with you on your thinking but as an owner of a very airworthy collection of parts that doesn't have quite a big enough pile of paper to substantiate they should be together, I would rather not see another airplane fall into the same category.

Bill asked what he had. We are educating him. We are also in this case educating him how to make the pile of paper match the pile of parts. In this case it is very doable if he finds it necessary.

I don't recall anyone telling him to stop flying the airplane.

blueldr

Post by blueldr »

There's nothing at all wrong with a picky IA if he knows what to be picky about. Some don't. Fortunately, most do, and they're the ones to use.
BL
Mark Harwood

Post by Mark Harwood »

Bill, I had to rebuild my engine last year and found a c 145 crank with an 0300D case. I spoke with TCM (summer 2006)who claimed it was not an approved combination. The person I spoke with said it was likely an approval could be gotten with paper work, time,etc. I was able to swap my 0300D case for an A case. I realize your in a different position. I am a novice at all the ins and outs of approvals and legalities, so i called TCM. I was concerned about liability and insurance coverage if I had an engine problem and it was discovered that the crank and block were not legal together. Maybe call TCM and see if you get the same answer I did?
Good luck! Mark