Fabric Clip pull out? - ragwing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mbeare

Fabric Clip pull out? - ragwing

Post by mbeare »

Hi, wondered if anyone has experienced a clip pulled out on the upper wing surface (over fuel tank) of a ragwing. I recently purchased a - new to me - '48 ragwing. The wings had been recovered recently and I noticed that one row (rib inboard of gas cap) had fewer clips installed over the tank.
There is one clip in this section that has pulled out and moves up and down (about 1/4 inch) when pressed. I'm pretty sure this should not happen. The other side (right wing) has same number of clips as all other ribs. They all are tight.

I am going to have an A&P look at it before flying again. I'd feel safer with the same number of fabric attachment clips (or double-row of clips as I saw in a 2002 post). Also saw an early AD on the 140 website that called for cherry rivets to reinforce the clips.

I have really been enjoying the 170.
Thanks,

Michael
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Fabric clips pulling out is a problem on ragwing Cessnas. The fabric tugs on the clips on the topside of the wing and elongates the holes and then the clips come free. Cessna recomends that you move away from the holes and drill new holes properly spaced and reinstall the clips. If you are lucky your wings are dope finished and this should be a relatively minor repair. There was a service bulletin issued by Cessna back in the late 1940's that dealt with this problem. You might also try doing a search on this web site as I know that this issue has been discussed in the past. Bill K.
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
mod cessna

Post by mod cessna »

Ohh the fun little clips. There are a few ways to fix this. A lot depends on the system and paint your wings were covered with. I would suspect the one that is pulled up is either the furthest forward or the furthest aft... Also the single row, on top of the fuel tank, is the preferred method as apposed to double rowing the clips atop the tank. ANYWAYS This is off the 120-140 site but it is some info from Cessna http://www.cessna120-140.org/Library/se ... sna_22.htm

edit also this one
http://www.cessna120-140.org/Library/se ... sna_38.htm

The pk screw in front and back as suggested in the link does actually work very well. Those pk screws hold down fabric just super. Some people also use the Aeronca style pop rivets. Those also work.(some may argue not approved for the 170)
Your mechanic may elect to install new clips, or clip, in some newly drilled holes. That will work and if you do not want some extra bumps or you want to keep it 100% original you may want to do it that way.
In any case, this will involve pealing up the tape covering the clips or scabing a new tape on top of the repair.
Now this repair can be done very quickly, but if you would like it to look good and like i said depending on the paint can easy become a full day project if not two.

Good luck!
mbeare

Thanks!

Post by mbeare »

Thanks for the helpful tips! Appreciate the alternative repair suggestions.
Michael