Welcome to the upgraded forums

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

webmaster
Site Admin

Welcome to the upgraded forums

Post by webmaster »

The forums are now running using phpBB3 software. It will be a new user experience. A users guide can be found at http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentat ... /index.php.

Registered users who wish to have access to all the forums must become members of The International Cessna 170 Assn. Once you have your Member Number in hand, contact me with your Forums Username, your email address and your member number. I will add you to the Member group. Note that this is a change to the procedure that was used with the old forums. This should cause less confusion.

Enjoy!
hilltop170

Re: Welcome to the upgraded forums

Post by hilltop170 »

The new format is GREAT!

Thanks.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

EEEEEK OL' GAR IS NOW IN HIDIN TILL SUNDOWN :mrgreen:

WELL I CAN TRUTHFULLY SAY IT IS SOME DIFFERENT!
IT'LL TAKE A WHILE FOR IT TO SOAK IN BUT HOPE THE BENEFITS WILL QUICKLY BECOME APPARENT. THANKS FOR YOUR SUPERIOR WORK DALE.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

I thought using the old forums was pretty slick but this is much nicer again. I like the new format and find it even more self explanatory. My compliments to the webmaster for doing such an exemplary job.
Thanks !!
4583C

Post by 4583C »

I can only echo what the others have said. Thanks for all your hard work Dale! I firmly resolve to finally learn to post pictures so Bruce doesn't have to do it for me! :lol:
170C

Post by 170C »

Well Dale, I attempted to go on the forum Wednesday and found it "down". Gee, I was concerned that something serious was wrong. I just tried again tonight and to my BIG SURPRISE I found out why it was unavailable. Thanks for all your good work on this website as well as all you do and have done as our treasurer. Now I've got to give this new thing a try!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
mbram

Post by mbram »

first attempt to attach a file failed kept getting file extension not supported.
I have been working on a parts quick reference would like to share the information.
Is there another way to do this
Mike
N 9545A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

So Mike what extension didn't work? What type of file are you attempting to upload?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Issue of backward compatibility with the old forum software:
In many threads created with the old forum software there are references to previous threads, like this: http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2956 .
But note that the urls have changed with the new software, so the old links are now broken. The fix is simple: Replace the "phpBB2" with "forums", like this: http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2956

Can the old urls be aliased or redirected to the new so no manual intervention is required?

Dave
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I posted my panel and it still seemed too big, but looked ok in my converter. What size should a picture be for normal looking?
Thanks Dale for the upgrade :) . I have to get used to the different format of looking at last posts.
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
mbram

Post by mbram »

I have an Excel file I use as a quick reference for parts. was going to attach a copy. The file extension is xls
Mike
N 9545A
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

According to the online help for the forum...

"What attachments are allowed on this board?
Each board administrator can allow or disallow certain attachment types. If you are unsure what is allowed to be uploaded, contact the board administrator for assistance. "

Dale,
Is this something you can control?
Doug
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

doug8082a wrote:According to the online help for the forum...

"What attachments are allowed on this board?
Each board administrator can allow or disallow certain attachment types. If you are unsure what is allowed to be uploaded, contact the board administrator for assistance. "

Dale,
Is this something you can control?
I decided to start out with only basic image attachments so I could verify things were working ok before they got totally out of hand. I'm now allowing all the extensions shown in the attached image (and expect things to get totally out of hand :wink: )

BTW, I should have mentioned that only TIC170A members are allowed to attach anything to a posting.
Attachments
allowed_extensions-3.jpg
allowed_extensions-3.jpg (35.02 KiB) Viewed 31208 times
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Is there a way to go from the presently read topic to the next unread topic without having to go back and then selecting the next unread topic? I can't find the selection if there is. The old forums had a next unread so you could just go straight there. I know I must be missing the selection for this somehow.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

John

To answer you question about photo size let me say there are probably a few things going on with your photo software, how it is showing you the picture and the raw picture size as it relates to other software. With out being there to see what you are doing first hand it is hard to say exactly what you should do.

First I always reduce my photos to a physical size of no larger that 6 inches when viewed at 100%. I have found 6" to be a good size that most people even with the smallest monitor today shouldn't find they had to scroll the picture left and right. Make sure your photo software is showing you the image at 100% or do as I do and select 6 inches in a image size box. At the same time I also reduce the image resolution to 72 pixels. 72 pixels is the max any monitor can show and having any more just makes the file larger creating the need for more storage space and slowing down download and upload speed which are critical for those with slow internet connections.

Last I always preview my post with pictures to be sure everything is the way I want it. If not I go back and change it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com