Annual surprise!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Hawkeyenfo

Annual surprise!

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Well, Just had the annual completed on 39A and got a couple surprises (I'm currently deployed in the South Atlantic.) First, 2 large cracks on the prop spinner backplate required replacement with a new one. Second, rudder bell cranks hole out of limits! That one hurt the wallet a little!! Replaced it as well so now it's ready to go! Is the rudder bellcrank one of those items that normally wears out???? Or, is there something that wasn't being addressed along the way??? That was the first "regular annual" that I've done with 39A. Next year....hopefully will be a piece of cake (with a little luck.)

:mrgreen:
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
N2865C

Re: Annual surprise!

Post by N2865C »

Sorry to hear about your pain....... It's common to just drill out the holes in the rudder bellcrank and put in bushings, a 20 minute job. Perhaps yours was not repairable???.... Finding the right IA and working closely with them is probably the most important thing in keeping costs down. If anything potentially expensive comes up I always refer to this board before work begins. If that is all you found on your first annual you probably have a good ride.....
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
dacker

Post by dacker »

Hawkeye, I replaced mine a few years ago when I was in the process of straightening my airplane out from years of neglected maintenance. If I remember correctly, the holes were completely wallowed out and it may have been cracked as well. Though not a cheap part, this is a relatively minor item to replace when you consider what it costs to replace some of the other components on our airplanes. If you have only had your airplane for one annual and that is all you have had to replace then you are in a rare situation!

65C is right about finding a good IA to work with, just make sure he is an IA that doesn't cut corners.

David
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

I agree, I had a great working relationship with a couple IAs prior to my move out east and since then my schedule has only allowed for "take it to the mechanic" maintenance. The guys at the airport, while very good, are on the replacement program... 100%. Again, I will not complain too much as it leads to a safe airplane. They found a few others but those were the big ticket repair items. I'll tuck away the drilling out and using inserts idea for future reference. The plane has been great since I purchased it in August. It sat for quite a while due to owner illness and after a little triage, has been a calculated risk that has paid off many times over in enjoyment and satisfaction. 8)
Fly Navy !!!!

1952 Cessna 170B
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Hawkeye-
Did you ever get your plane out to Iowa or is it still in VA?
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Yep, I'd say that 39A has worked out very well! Some things you just have to replace now and then and that it the cost of doing business :D

As far as moving it, I had to wait until the annual was complete due to weather and schedules not quite matching up back in Mar. So, now that the bird is completely ready, I'm going to email a few folks and see how their schedules look. I was truly impressed by the number of responses I received from members. Obviously, indicative of the quality of folks who love and are associated with these great planes!!
Fly Navy !!!!

1952 Cessna 170B
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

I've replaced both the rudder bellcrank and my spinner backplate (common wear items). To insure long life from the spinner backing plate, make sure the spinner sits tight into the prop hub (some electrical tape wrapped around the plug of the spinner works but will need replacing every so often). If the spinner can move from side to side, the backplate will crack again soon.
The rudder bellcrank often wears (prematurely) because the tailwheel control chains are too short! If they have no slack when the plane sits, they are too tight. Once the tail get airborne, the tailwheel hangs lower pulling on it's chains and rudder bellcrank. If you can, lift the tail off the ground and block it up so the tailwheel hangs free off of the ground. Be carefull to support the tail on a good solid spot (under the tailwheel mounting bracket). I've seen a few wrinkles on the belly skin when people prop up the tail on just the skin. Then make the control chains the right length (no slack). Once the tail comes back down you will notice a fair bit of slack in the chains, but it's better than having to replace that bell crank again!
Cheers Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

That's not right 4stripes. Slack steering chains are no-steering-input from rudder control at all! We don't need them tight in flight. We need them taut on the ground. The steering chains should not be stretching the tension springs visibly, but they should be just-taut! (The springs allow the tailwheel to descend in flight. That's THEIR job. And that's why compression springs are NOT GOOD for our airplanes. They bottom out and overstress the mechanism.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

George,
I am not using compression springs. George the rudder input to the tailwheel still works. When I'm taxiing the rudder itself provides as much control as when I had the taught chains pulling down the rudder bellcrank. You may have your opinions, but my previous 2 AME's do as well and I happen to agree with them.
Cheers Eric
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

Further to my last post, the diagram of the scott tailweel installation does not show, or specify that the wheel is on the ground.
Cheers
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It is on the ground. Cessna specifies all landing gear adjustments be at 2,000 lbs wt.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

4stripes wrote:George,
I am not using compression springs. George the rudder input to the tailwheel still works. When I'm taxiing the rudder itself provides as much control as when I had the taught chains pulling down the rudder bellcrank. You may have your opinions, but my previous 2 AME's do as well and I happen to agree with them.
Cheers Eric
It is not a simple matter of disagreeable opinions. We all have opinions, and that's not disqualifying.
The situation here, in this case, is issueing incorrect maintenance information. There's no opinion involved in following mfr's instructions. The tailwheel steering chains should not be slack. That's not an opinion.
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

"Landing gear adjustments"... Still does not specify control chains. I don't wish to sound argumentative but ...
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well, let's think about this together and perhaps we'll be able to come to a mutual agreement on the subject.

Why would you want to steer the tailwheel in the air? Unless the chains are taut, they do not steer the wheel.