Landing Gear Differences

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jaime72

Landing Gear Differences

Post by jaime72 »

Ok, the skinny on landing gear. I am headed to the PNW for a "potential new owner assisted annual inspection" and am brushing myself up on all I can before the annual. I am having a tough time learning more about gear. '54B with "lady legs" and PPONK installed by PPONK in the PNW. I will be able to grab the serial numbers next week, but only a day or two before I hope to close!

Are there different model lady legs? Pro's/con's to lady legs? How about 180 gear? Specifics to look for if looking for 180 gear?

Will most likely add double pucks, 26" or 29" bushwheels and a Seaplane prop for use here in AK. I have heard many suggest the 180 gear, some say it is even required for the AK Bushwheels, though none will confirm.

Thanks,

Jaime
Showboatsix

Re: Landing Gear Differences

Post by Showboatsix »

UAO, Aurora Oregon
Hanger 26
56' C-172, With Conventional Gear Conversion
S/N 28963
N6863A
jaime72

Post by jaime72 »

Showboatsix wrote:http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... f=2&t=5812

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... 12&start=0

Try this link to a forum here to see the differences in Cessna Gear.

Wowa dog, how'd you get that so quickly? I don't know how many search parameter's I entered and never found that thread!

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

Jaime
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

jaime72 wrote:...but only a day or two before I hope to close!
What difference will the timing of responses make, Jaime? The airplane you seem to be determined to buy in only a few days will have whatever legs it has on it, and it's unlikely that you or anyone will make a decision about a single airplane based on this one feature. (Does it sound as if I"m a bit concerned that you appear to have already made up your mind about an airplane you seem to have little information about?)

(To answer your question, there is only one "lady leg" landing gear. In fact, there are only two landing gears for the Cessna 170, the early (prior to serial 25612) and the late (or "lady leg") gears. This means the 54B-model you are interested in would have left the factory with "lady legs"....therefore it's not an added feature, but a standard one. All other landing gears that might be found on 170s came from some other airplane such as a 180 or 185, and are alterations to the original airplane (disregarding the hilariously/ridiculously/prohibitively/hideously/unsightly expensive titanium after-market STC.)

The Pponk mod is a good one, in my opinion. If it didn't have that mod, I'd install it as one of the first mods I did, along with insuring it had either solid aluminum or steel axles.

(Please forgive my attitude about landing gears.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jon s blocker

Post by jon s blocker »

Jaime,
180 gear legs are not needed just because you will be flying in Alaska. The lady legs are a good gear that will take a real pounding with no problems. The P-Ponk box is a great feature, and is probably the most significant feature you can add to your gear, except for the axles. The larger tires will put a bigger stress on the gear and gear box. Check with Wup at Alaska Bushwheels, and he can tell you what you need for their product to be FAA legal. You don't need 180 legs, but you will need double puck brakes. Supercub .org users have done several tire comparisons, (as to size, usage, compatibility, longevity, and cost, as well as different manufacturers of wheels and tires). They are a good source of info for bush flying and equipment for all types of aircraft. What engine do you have in your plane? Remember, you will be able to get into more places than you can get out of, no matter what engine you have. Check the weight of the aircraft, keep it light. Have Fun! Jon
jaime72

Post by jaime72 »

gahorn wrote:
jaime72 wrote:...but only a day or two before I hope to close!
What difference will the timing of responses make, Jaime? The airplane you seem to be determined to buy in only a few days will have whatever legs it has on it, and it's unlikely that you or anyone will make a decision about a single airplane based on this one feature. (Does it sound as if I"m a bit concerned that you appear to have already made up your mind about an airplane you seem to have little information about?)
:wink:

Come on George. You are an incredible and indispensable resource to both this forum and myself as I have perused information over this past year. Why do you come out with all guns blaring Image assuming I have made up my mind about purchasing a plane I have little information about? I see many parallels in this posting as I did in your attack against N94149A in the carb heat and icing thread. At least learn all of the facts before making statements. I may not have 13,000 hours but I know how to research. Part of thorough research is reaching out to "experts" within any given field. That's why I am here. That is why I paid to join this association before I have even purchased a 170.

I never said this was a pivotal factor in determining the suitability of this a/c for my needs. Little information? I have been looking at this a/c for over a month. I have flown to Seattle with a partner in this a/c and flown the a/c as well as let an A&P IA who works on 170's and is a 120-140 association member and 140 owner look through the plane for 4 hours to determine if it would be worth moving forward. This was a pre-pre-buy. The full annual is next week and I will fly down for that as well. I think this shows commitment. I have spent literally hundreds of hours working on this. I am deeply obsessive-compulsive, I don't jump into affairs such as this without initiating complex thought processes. To say I have made up my mind about an a/c I have little information about is a stretch from the truth. Add to that my purchase partner is an aerospace engineer by education and the seller is an engineer by education and trade. I think we have the obsessive-compulsive covered.

Jon -- Thanks. Your info was exactly what I was looking for. The AK Bushwheel people have been helpful, as is the Supercub.org forum. The AK Bushwheel people like theoretical's less though. They don't want to talk about a plane that you "might" get, they like hard and fast numbers. As I mentioned, this plane does have the PPONK upgrade installed by PPONK. Currently single pucks on 8.00 x 6's. We are looking to change to double pucks with either a 26" or 29" tire and a seaplane prop. The 180 gear will give us just that much more clearance. I had previously been told that there were multiple versions of the "lady leg" gear, which I have since learned was not true. My question was more along the lines of "what are the differences and what should we look out for during the annual." Thanks again.

Jaime
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I think the "tone" of my first response did not make the "leap" across cyber-space. Sorry.

My original understanding of your opening msg was one of "urgency", ... as you mentioned that in "two days" you hoped to close on an airplane you'd not yet inspected. That gave me the impression that regardless of any info you rec'd in your inquiry you intended to purchase the airplane.

With that said, it seemed to me that whatever landing gear it had was the one you'd end up with, therefore no urgency actually existed, and that was the irony intended in my response.

" At least learn all of the facts before making statements."
You did not give all the facts, or mention (except in your scolding) that you'd been investigating the aircraft extensively. It appeared you had your mind made up to close in two days and were asking for information post-haste. Sorry if my response seemed overly critical....that's why I closed with "(Please forgive my attitude about landing gears.)" and a wink. :wink:

I also gave you the answer you were looking for. Fast. :)

PS- "...your attack against N94149A ..." wasn't an attack. It was a defense.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jaime72

Post by jaime72 »

AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Of course you can stay on grass & gravel in Alaska with the stock 170, but if you're going to do that, then get a stronger engine, easier to fly, faster, tricycle gear. :roll: Lower altitude strips, dense cool air, 80" prop, & tires that bounce over creek bed rock, make the 170 a different bird. Gives us an update.
jaime72

Post by jaime72 »

***UPDATE*** 12/9/08 2130 PST

Well I spent over 12 hours today after flying from Anchorage to Tacoma on an Annual Inspection for the plane. I was in Tacoma a few weeks back to fly and check it over, today was the "do-or-die" day. The A&P hasn't finished the annual yet, but he pretty much gave the needed nod. I close tomorrow. This was the 170B posted in the Trademart here on 170.org.

It is a '54B with the AVCON 180hp conversion. N2886C, serial #26429. 2500TT with 200 hours TTSN on the Lycoming. Not an overhaul, new. New lightweight starter and lightweight alternator, LASER electronic ignition, new oil cooler, Tanis heater, new carburetor, new Atlee Dodge jump seats, interior and headliner removed (though included), gel firewall battery, BAS tailpulls, BAS inertia reel harnesses, 2- new Garmin SL40 comms, new Garmin 340 audio panel, Garmin 320 transponder, Several new instruments, Javelin 18gal aux fuel tank.

Did I miss anything? Can you tell I am excited? Now we just need to figure out how to get it from Tacoma Narrows to Anchorage! Wish me luck!

Jaime
jaime72

Post by jaime72 »

Oh yea, PPONK Gear Beefup installed by PPONK on the ladyleg gear. Anyone have some early model 180 gear legs?

JA
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

jaime72 wrote:Oh yea, PPONK Gear Beefup installed by PPONK on the ladyleg gear. Anyone have some early model 180 gear legs?

JA
Congrat! It's a once in a life time feeling, what excitement. Have fun, be safe!
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

jaime72 wrote:***UPDATE*** 12/9/08 2130 PST

Now we just need to figure out how to get it from Tacoma Narrows to Anchorage! Wish me luck!

Jaime

Jaime-
Congratulations!!

I have made that flight many times and would be glad to help you make the trip or do it for you. PM me if you are interested.
Richard
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
ron74887

Post by ron74887 »

Update on landing gear. After talking/looking for a part no. on landing gear With only limited nos on mine. BL said talk to Steve Knopp (PPonk) Thanks to BOTH-- so here's what Steve email me back --if the gear is .750 thick that would be 0741001-7 LH or -8 RH gear for a Cessna 180-185 around 1968 and newer. The -7and -8 has two glued on brake clips and the -5 and -6 has dimples in the gear for a snap on clip. That's why this group is great for info and you never know just how much help you can get by asking. I talked with on gear leg expert Advertising in )(*&^^() and he said set them on the floor and bends up stand on the part that goes in the plane and if they are no more that 3/8" differece go with it ==it makes no difference. put them on your plane. I 'll be sure to buy a set from him if I ever need a set hopefully that will never happen. So now I know what I have to advertise in someone needs a set. Thanks again Ron
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!