Oregon Coast Trip

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Robert Eilers

Oregon Coast Trip

Post by Robert Eilers »

I am considering a trip up the Oregon coast to the Washington border this summer. Are there any Oregonians out there who can tell me the best time of year for an Oregon coast trip.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
buzzlatka

Re: Oregon Coast Trip

Post by buzzlatka »

Flying the day job this week up and down the coast I was thinking the same thing. The only clouds around were the california valley fog. Clear all the way to Seattle.

Not that I am an expert but in a former life the weather guys alway said the Portland weather was the best for flying in August.

I was thinking of going up the coast and back down inland.
markeg1964

Post by markeg1964 »

I live just west of Portland, Oregon and on a clear day we can see the Pacific Ocean from about 3,500 feet.

We joke that it rains in Portland until after the Rose Festival which ends in June – some extend that to July 4th. Looking at my log I flew twice as many times in May than in August this year – fuel prices may be part of the reason. Anyway, our weather is fairly mild so just about any time is OK from May through October although August is your best bet.

Last August my wife and I almost got stuck over at the coast (Nehalem Bay) while spending an extended weekend camping. The day of our planned departure the coast was overcast at about 1,000 feet with a layer that was about 200 feet thick. We lucked out and found a hole to fly through and had severe clear all the way home. That is typical for summer at the Oregon coast. We will have several weeks of clear followed by a half week of low clouds and mist. The good news is it is not usually cloudy on both the east and west side of the coast range. The cost range is only around 3,000 feet high and takes about ten to fifteen minutes to cross in a 170. So if the forecast is for low clouds, you can usually fly to the other side and find clear or at least higherclouds. The reverse is also true; when it is cloudy on the east side of the coast range it is often clear on the west side. In fact yesterday we flew south down the valley to get a $100 cup of coffee and although it was clear in the valley, we could see clouds on the west side of the coast range.

You might also want to think about flying up the Columbia Gorge if you have the time. Send me a PM if you have any questions about local airports. My wife and I would also be glad to treat you to dinner if you find yourself in our area.
Mark

Twin Oaks Airpark
1950 170A N5528C
Showboatsix

Post by Showboatsix »

The ONLY place to stay on the Oregon Coast is..... you will love it, great view of the ocean. I love "the Aviator" room!

http://www.moolackshores.com/

http://www.moolackshores.com/home.cfm?dir_cat=31427
UAO, Aurora Oregon
Hanger 26
56' C-172, With Conventional Gear Conversion
S/N 28963
N6863A
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

One of the nicest days of flying I've EVER had was Labor Day 2003. Karen and I broke camp early at Johnson Creek (3U2), flew to McCall for breakfast and gas, over to the Snake River and Hells Canyon up to the OR/WA border, then straight west to the Columbia River Gorge. Followed that all the way to Astoria on the coast, then down the coast to North Bend, then RON in Roseburg. The only remotely "adverse" weather the whole day was a very small patch of coastal fog just a few miles south of Astoria.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Paddy

Post by Paddy »

Hi -well, this is my first post in any forum and i'm glad it's to reply to this one - 2 buddies of mine and i flew down (my 170, a super cub and a flight design CT) from Calgary Canada this past labor day weekend (2008) and spent the week meandering our way from Lewiston ID to McMinnville and Lincoln City on the west coast - from there south to rogue river and ultimately tahoe, carson city, sun valley, yellowstone and back to Calgary. one of the nicest little strips we stopped at was at Siletz Bay OR - we heard that Rogue River OR, was supposed to be a 'destination' spot but it was quite a let down.
in any case, to answer your question - the only rough weather we found the whole trip was between Hood River and Portland - and after a real nice night waiting it out, we were blessed the rest of the way.
here is a link to a slide show one of my buddies did with a few of our pictures.... needless to say, we HAD to drop in on Winnimuca and a DARN nice FBO there i might add...

http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/openThe ... 80d0a&sb=1

Pat
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Sorry folks for the thread diversion but Paddy... SAVE ME.......I don't want to be the only Canadian again at the next convention in Duluth.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Thanks Pat !!!!

Looks like it was a real fun trip. Been to most of the place on the ground and it is great to now see them from the air.
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Paddy,

That was the coolest vid I have ever seen on this forum.....I loaded it up...and it ran....without any stops. But I got tired of John singing (I've been every where man) after the second time. You should think about Arlo Guthery, Bob Dillion, and Bruce Springsteen who have been everywhere...MAN......Just to spice the vid up :lol: ....Brad
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

Yea, It was a good show :D . I liked the scenery, just to dreeeam about the flight. I also turned off my speaker after 3 times :idea: .

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
markeg1964

Post by markeg1964 »

I liked it as well - I’ve flown over much of the same countryside. I muted my speakers after two… :)
Mark

Twin Oaks Airpark
1950 170A N5528C
1SeventyZ

Post by 1SeventyZ »

The Oregon coast probably has its best days in September. All of late summer can sport some fine high pressure clear days, but it seems these last couple years we've had an indian summer that really makes Sept wonderful.