Alaska bound.....

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

KG

Alaska bound.....

Post by KG »

Hi everybody,

My brother-in-law, Robert McCann (aka "Push"), and I will be leaving Western North Carolina around the 6th of June for our trip to Alaska. My tentative plan is to initially make our way to Great Falls, MT and cross the border into Lethbridge. Subject to change due to the weather or our whims.

Here is a depiction of the direct route to Great Falls (with airports within 10 miles flagged). This is by no means a firm route but just a preliminary idea and we are open to suggestions.
http://www.navmonster.com/map/KRHP-KGTF-10

We plan to camp when the weather and airport authorities allow it. If any of you have any suggestions for camping friendly airports we would appreciate it.

If any Association members are along that route, we wouldn't mind joining you for a cup of coffee or a burger as we pass though.

Push is more computer knowledgeable that I and he is setting up a blog to record our trip. I'll post the info here when he gets it going if anybody wants to follow a couple of 50 year old, slightly overweight guys as they bumble their way northward.

Anybody near that route that can offer suggestions on places to stay, cheap fuel, things to see, and friendly airport geezers?

Thanks,
Keith and Push
53 170B
dacker

Re: Alaska bound.....

Post by dacker »

You're living the dream!!!! Have fun. :D
David
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Stay safe,have fun,wish I was going along.............will you be leave some post along the way as to how it's going and maybe some pics too :D

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

From my memories of my trip up that way in 2003 (in my J3):

At that time, there was no Customs service at the Lethbridge airport (it appears they're offering it again). I cleared customs in both directions at Ross International, a primitive grass strip along the border near Coutts, Alberta and Sweetgrass, Montana. A customs officer came over from the nearby highway border crossing.

I didn't camp on that trip, so I don't know much about where you can do that.

I can recommend the Tie Down Guest House, a B&B at the Springbank airport near Calgary. I think it was still operating when I went through there last summer. It's right across the road from the FBO you would probably use there, which also has cars to rent. Banff is only an hour away by car.

Rocky Mountain House airport is on the way from Calgary to Whitecourt. It was unattended when we stopped there, and refueling was on the honor system -- take what you need, and leave a credit card number to pay for it.

At Fort Nelson, it's worth the drive into town to see the museum there. All kinds of fun junk to see and reminisce about! :)

Watson Lake is a nice camping spot. You can fish there too, but you might not catch anything! :cry:

The Canadians are sensible enough not to put ethanol in their road fuels. If you should need auto gas, you can find it at the Toad River, Pine Lake, and Burwash Landing airstrips -- and probably others -- close to the field, or within a mile or two. These are places where I had to stop because of limited range in the J3, but they are also some of my favorite memories of the trip.

The FBO at Whitehorse has guest rooms. Cheaper and much more convenient than going into town.

Have a great flight!
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
170C

Post by 170C »

Sounds like a really fun trip you have planned. It's exactly what I hope to be able to do sometime. How long are you planning to be gone and where in AK are you thinking of going? I'll bet Richard Pulley & others can give you some good tips on places to stay along the way, things to see & do as well as mucho things in AK itself. Good luck, good flying, have fun & let us know what you find along the way to and from.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bpaige

Post by bpaige »

I flew from Thompson Falls, MT to Wasilla, AK last September. I had just bought my plane and was returning home with it so I didn't really visit Canada, just flew over it. Lethbridge is a port of entry. If no agent meets you at the plane then step inside the building and call them on the phone you find there. In my case they gave me an ID number over the phone and sent me on my way. I never needed the number again. I fueled up and headed out. I stayed to the east of Calgary to avoid their air space and then bee lined to Dawson Creek. Dawson Creek airport is camper friendly and they have a nice grassy tie down area. They allow camping right there at the plane. My second day ended at Watson Lake. On the third day I cleared US customs in Northway, AK. Be sure to give them plenty of notice because the agents are about 2 hours away. They also require that you buy a US Customs Decal ($25) if you don't already have one. They will take your credit card information right there and mail the decal to you. All in aIl I have a very positive memory of the entire trip and hope yours will be the same.
Last edited by bpaige on Sat May 23, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

You've probably done this before but don't forget the cross-border notam requirements (plan, squawk, talk, eaphis.) Also, do you remember that you are ow required to have the plastic certificate with the "English-proficient" endorsement on it for international operations? If you are a AOPA member there is lots of information on the website about both. Edit: I guess if you are a big-iron driver that is already taken care of :oops:

In Whitehorse definitely take advantage of the pilot dorm at the FBO. Good museums in town there too. Every one-horse town in Canada has a taxi service, for the places that don't have camping on the field. They'll generally take US currency. In Teslin all the small highway lodges will come scoop you from the airport for a meal or a room.

If you are swinging by here give me a heads up, always like to see other 170's coming through - mine should be on the strip by then.
Last edited by futr_alaskaflyer on Mon May 18, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
futr_alaskaflyer

Also, should be no problem with customs availability in Lethbridge.
Richard
N3477C
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

DEET! DEET! DEET!
Be sure you take DEET with you.
Do you know what DEET is? I don't care what kind or size airplane you have, it will not be able to carry too much DEET. If you fly through Idaho, you can buy the good stuff. Plenty potent! It's an absolute must for Mosquitos. The last time I camped on the airport at Watson Lake the dirty bastards unzipped my sleeping bag and dragged me out into the tent to eat me. They would have dragged me outside, but were afraid the big guys would take me away from them.

Seriously, Mosquitos can be absolute hell up there. If you can find it, the very best insect repellant I've found is "Ben's" 100 Max Formula. It's made by the Tender Corporation and is 98,11% DEET.
I can't seem to buy any of that potency here in California, but I've found it in Idaho. It comes in a 1 1/4 fl. oz. container and will most likely carry you through your trip. It really does work.
Incidentally, yesterday I had an email from an old friend up in the Idaho back country that told me about using "Listerine" mouth wash sprayed around the camping area to repel mosquitos, Says some lady camper told him about it and swears it really does work. I plan on giving it a try next month.
BL
futr_alaskaflyer

Original Listerine has eucalyptol as an ingredient, and eucalyptus oil is a natural repellent...but I am still cynical 8)
Richard
N3477C
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Yes on the Deets - However we always carried two HEADNETS for each occupant. Just the $3 Walmart kind that you can quickly throw on over your ball cap. Stayed at Rocky Mountain House when we came outside. Nice place. Airport folks are really friendly and helpful along the way. If you are VFR and fly above the ceiling, keep it quite. :roll:
gliderman

Post by gliderman »

You might want to try the following link to the Canadian Owners and Pilot Association (COPA) and their directory of places to fly in Canada, including the Territories. Some limited information on camping available at some of the smaller airports.

Good luck and have fun. If you pass through Winnipeg Manitoba, give me a call at 204 831 8746, and we can arrange a meeting, place to stay etc. You will have to click on the "flying in Canada" button and then go to "places to fly" picture and then from there you can find the clickable link to the places to fly.

Mike Maskell

http://www.copanational.org/non-members/index.htm
KG

Post by KG »

Thanks everybody! I'm taking notes.

Geez, I can't believe I haven't even thought of bug repellant! Thanks for that reminder, blueldr. I've also heard the Listerine stories but think I'll look for the proven stuff. I'm taking your suggestion too, Dave, and will get some cheap head nets.

I'm familiar with South Central AK having lived and worked there for several years in the past. It's the border crossing stuff that has me confused but I'm sure I'll sort it out. I've signed up for the eAPIS account and have my custom's sticker. I picked Great Falls as my outbound airport mainly because I'm thinking I'll need an airport that is big enough to ensure a FBO with telephones and internet service to make all these reports. Those strips that lie on the border look interesting but I can't see the advantage of using one of them other than the novelty of it. I am open to suggestions about other cities for the border crossing if anybody has a better pair of cities than Great Falls to Lethbridge.

We'll be posting pictures as we find internet access along the way. I'm sure we'll be in hotels part of the way so should be able to check in every few days, at least.

futr... thanks for the reminders, but yes, I've already had to get the plastic license that says I can speak the English. If they only knew that I went to school in Georgia ... :D If I don't pass through Denali Park on the way, I'll be coming up there at some point for a visit. I'll be staying at Denali Private airstrip but will give you a heads up when I'm up that way.

I'll post more as the planning progresses.

Keith
53 170B
KG

Post by KG »

170C wrote: How long are you planning to be gone and where in AK are you thinking of going?
I'm planning ten days or so to get there, give or take a day or two. I have a condo in Anchorage so that is the destination. Due to some creative scheduling around some vacation time, I won't have to be back in Atlanta for work until around June 26th. I'm planning to leave the plane there for the summer as I have more vacation time later and will make a couple of trips via the airlines. I haven't put a lot of thought into getting it back down south before winter but I expect I will be flying it back sometime in late summer or fall. I could leave it in Alaska for the winter but the opportunities to fly it would be limited.

k
53 170B
sloPoke

Post by sloPoke »

Last year I stopped at Quesnel, BC. http://www.city.quesnel.bc.ca/Airport/A ... erview.asp Pretty airport with a nice grass camping area and a pilot lounge with shower for something like 6 bucks a night. 55 miles south of Prince George.
I flew around SE AK, enjoyed the scenery but found that the developed airports did not want campers. At Wrangel we hiked a couple of miles into town to camp.
Have a great trip!
Charlie