Gascolator Drain Valve

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bryce

Gascolator Drain Valve

Post by Bryce »

Can anyone identify the remote operated drain valve on our 0-300 engined F172 shown on the photo ?
It has started to drip and dispite web searches I cannot idetify if o/haul parts are available.
Many Thanks
Bryce
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27011563@N02/3596460666/
dmacdw

Re: Gascolator Drain Valve

Post by dmacdw »

Bryce,
Two weeks ago I was performing a messy oil change on my '52 170B. While using the gascolator valve to obtain some "clean-up solvent", it began to leak. This Kohler valve was easily repaired with a SAF-AIR drain seal (ms29513-006) obtained from Aircraft Spruce. Unfortunately, I left the gascolator gaskets sitting high and dry beneath the airplane. They shrank! I cut and fit cork/rubber gasket obtained at my local autoparts store. So far, so good.
I tell you this for two reasons: The gascolator o-ring is easily repaired. But don't let the gascolator gaskets dry out, keep them submerged in fuel.
Dan
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bryce, the BEST way to obtain a replacement valve is to call a genuine Cessna distributor such as Yingling (800.854.2647) or Hill (800-998-7832 ) ....and if you want to establish an IMMEDIATE rapport with them, ... call them with the exact Part Number, (and to really impress them include the Figure number, and Item number) from the Illustrated Parts Catalog (IPC) for your aircraft. (You can also check for surplus/NOS parts at Preferred AirParts http://www.preferredairparts.com . See the note at the bottom of this page.)

Anytime you call a parts supplier, be certain to have the Serial Number of your aircraft handy. Serial numbers more accurately identify aircraft than "Year" models.

Any owner who involves himself in his aircraft's maintenance will find the most valuable resources available to be the Illustrated Parts Catalog and the Service Manual for their particular aircraft. You can obtain those manuals from the mfr (Cessna) or from an aftermarket vendor such as Aircraft Spruce (877-477-7823). Some IPC's are available in PDF format, a few are even found online free.

When you know your aircraft's exact model designation (F172), Serial number, and the specific part-number, and the IPC Figure and Item numbers, .... you will sound like a professional to a parts-supplier, and you will better insure that you will receive the correct part. There's nothing more frustrating than to order a part, pay the freight, anticipate getting back into the air....then opening the package three days later to find the part received is not the part you need. The IPC is your friend.

I hope the following is helpful to you, as I believe it might be the information you need:
Part Number 0511199-41, from IPC Figure 80, for Serials 46755 thru 17249554. (After all that, would you believe the Figure fails to actually assign an item number for your particular fuel valve? Other serial aircraft have item numbers, but not the particular type you photographed. HOwever, if your serial number is within the range I mentioned ...and which are described in the IPC on that illustration, .... then that is the part you need.)
click to ENLARGE
click to ENLARGE
172 drain pn.JPG
Bryce's pic
Bryce's pic
To give EVERYONE an idea of how much more helpful parts guys will be if you have your IPC, PN's, and serial numbers handy.... it took me almost 45 minutes to look all this information up and post this message. (and parts-guys get hundreds of requests each day,...I only get a dozen or so.) So you can see that "popping a question" such as "Hey, what does a gadget-ma-dooky for my 170 cost? and where can I get one?" ....can be a question many parts-guys simply will put on the backburner. But having done your homework, a parts guy will more likely jump right-on your parts-order, and also you will be much more likely to get the correct part.

PS: Preferred Air Parts has 19 of them in stock. 800-433-0814
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Thankyou George
I will have to get a parts manual for our machine.
As you know it was French built and it has an early s/n 00006.
Hopefully the replacement o ring will cure the leak.
Bryce
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bryce wrote:Thankyou George
I will have to get a parts manual for our machine.
As you know it was French built and it has an early s/n 00006.
Hopefully the replacement o ring will cure the leak.
Bryce
Not a criticism.... but, No... I did not recall that it was French nor did I know the serial number. Although I may have visited with you regarding your airplane.... I (and anyone else, probably) visit with many many people about their airplanes and although owners may think the parts-guy recalls the details of the last conversation ...unless you remind parts-guys each-and-every time you talk to them...they will not have uppermost in their minds the details of your particular airplane. If you give them that vital information up-front...it will save a lot of wasted time-and-effort-and-frustration researching information that is not applicable, and they can be more productive.

Anyway, hope the info helped. :wink:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I should have inspected the problem more thoroughly before suspecting the drain valve to be the cause of the leak.

A replacement o ring was fitted but the problem persisted and then I discovered the aluminum bottom part of the gascolator ,where the brass drain valve body screws into it, had a hairline crack.

Not sure why this developed since it had not been disturbed but anyway a replacement gascolator bottom part is on its way from USA to hopefully resolve the problem.

Many thanks for all your help George.

Regards
Bryce
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The drain likely is a "pipe threaded" unit, which means the farther it's screwed into the base, the more tightly it fits. If overtightened, it exerts tremendous pressure and can crack the base. REmember...it's only gravity pressure. Snug, and a bit of sealant such as Permatex #2 Aviation gasket compound or similar thread sealant is all that's required.

(Do NOT use teflon tape to seal fuel system components. Tape particles will dislodge and cause malfunctions of carburetors, valves, etc. )