OT: Second Solo 31 years later

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

4-Shipp

OT: Second Solo 31 years later

Post by 4-Shipp »

On the way home from OSH last Sunday I stopped to visit the man who owns the Cub I soloed on my 16th birthday in 1979. He is partner with the original owner's son who lives on the East coast. The original owner, Darwin McLure, was my fathers boss in a corporate flight department in Quincy, IL. Darwin was gracious enough to allow my father to use the Cub for my initial training and first solo. I flew my three touch and gos and never flew this Cub solo again.

After Darwin's death several years ago, I happened upon a picture of the newly restored Cub and the new owner's name in Sport Aviation. Chuck is partners in the airplane with Darwin's son, Ed. Ed lives on the east coast and they keep the airplane with Chuck in Illinois. Several emails later we made plans to meet and go for a ride. Those plans took a year to come together and I stopped to see the Cub last Sunday on the way home from OSH. Chuck keeps her on a perfect 2500 foot grass strip in Eastern Illinois. We introduced ourselves and he quickly asked if I was ready to fly. We pushed the Cub out of the hangar and were ready to go. The next few moments were unreal. I still get chills thinking about them. Chuck motions to the back seat and says "you don't need me to go with you, do you?" I new Darwin and his son Ed for many years, but I had never met Chuck. Here is a man I had met less than 10 minutes before and he is offering to turn me loose in his J-3 for as long as I want to fly. Chuck told me he had asked Ed about flying solo and Ed was all for it. After regaining my composure - his offer brought me to tears, literally - I was airborne by my self in "my Cub" again just 4 weeks shy of 31 years from the last time. I did some stalls, wingovers, corn and bean chasing and about 5 patterns. I didn't want to land! Before I taxied out, I told Chuck the keys were in the 170. If I didn't come back we would call it an even trade.

Here are a few pictures of a very happy pilot!

Thanks Chuck and Ed for the perfect day and the perfect flight!
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
GAHorn

Re: OT: Second Solo 31 years later

Post by GAHorn »

Wow!

Nice story and pics!

I came across my first-solo aircraft a few years ago in Tyler, TX, undergoing restoration. I dream about finding the owner and making contact. (Not quite as glamorous as a cub, nonetheless, ...a 1959 straight-tailed 150, N4299U holds a cherished spot in my memory.)

Thanks for the memory! (Send this story to Jan!)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Nice story, Bruce, but after seeing your airplane I'm sure Chuck had no qualms about you in the Cub.

I admired your airplane at OSH but didn't stop by to say hello. I was at the end of the row in front of you. Blue and white B model, me and my two kids.
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Neat picture and story! Like GAHorn says, submit that one to Jan!

Tried to catch you at OSH. Was a few rows ahead of you. Maybe next year when they let us return as a group AGAIN!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
170C

Post by 170C »

Bruce, good story & photo's. Our first solo or first flight's are really special. Unfortunately my first solo plane no longer exists (2268A--I think---A 1948 C-140-I'm in CO so can't ck my old logbook). Enjoyed meeting you finally and visiting. Maybe we can get together at one of Louise's 170 flyin's or maybe I will just fly up to WF and we can have lunch one of these days when it gets cooler. Please say hello to Dave & Pat for me.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Thanks, guys. Chuck invited me and my father back the next time I am in Illinois. It will be the first time my father and I have been in a Cub since my 16th birthday as well.

Sorry I missed so many of you at OSH. I spent most of my time in the Warbirds area ended up sharing a camper with a friend in the Emergency Aircraft Repair Area. He took pity on me Tuesday night and gave me refuge from the rain. I ended up there all week. I had some squatters use the tent under the 170 a few nights. A fellow SWA pilot and his friend were your neighbors mid-week. Looking forward to next year - both OSH and a visit to the Cub!
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B