scott tailwheel mod.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N111L

scott tailwheel mod.

Post by N111L »

I have a * tail wheel fork* that fit the 3200 tailwheel mount, but use the 10 inch tire instead of the 8 inch. I have had one on my plane for a year and it works fine and looks original, you cannot tell it from others except it is a little bigger. Has anyone ever seen these before *? It makes landing in rough fields a little smoother than the 8 inch.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The 10" tire and wheel assembly is used on the Series 3425 and 3450 tailwheel assemblies, as is the fork you mention. They are not approved for use on a 170.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I've seen oversized tailwheels on at least a couple of 170's,XP Mods and I think one by Atlee-Dodge. You could check XP Mods' website &/or contact the owner to see if they're approved or approvable ona 170.
http://www.xpmods.com

Eric
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

I still have to deal with my tail wheel dilema. But I did call XP-Mods and talk to him about his 10" yolk. Not STCed for the 170 and my FBO said no way to a field approva. If you find one that is or get one field approved please post it so that we can gain from your hard work. Lance
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Watkinsnv wrote:I still have to deal with my tail wheel dilema. But I did call XP-Mods and talk to him about his 10" yolk. Not STCed for the 170 and my FBO said no way to a field approva. If you find one that is or get one field approved please post it so that we can gain from your hard work. Lance
Lance,what is your dilema?
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

My Scott upper tail wheel bracket broke in a wind storm. The rest of the tail wheel has been rebuilt once and is nearly worn out. So I have to buy a new Scott tail wheel or rebuild this one, one more time. But since I'm in the middle of putting a Lyc O360 and already have 180 gear and the Bird dog tail spring I thought that going to a larger tail wheel might be the way to go. XP Mod said no STC. The FAA said no to a field approval, so I put the decision off to a later day. Lance
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Maybe XP Mods would work with you to get the STC approval?? There would be more sold to 170 folks I'm sure. If they need an airplane in the Puget Sound area I'd be interested in helping.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Green Bean

Post by Green Bean »

You might want to try the Gar-Aero Tail Wheel mod. He makes a fork to replace the 3200 fork and uses a wider tire and tube. It has a spacer between the wheel half. It is used on cubs,12's, and 170s. It is only field approved and not an STC. It is excellent in soft sand and much easier to move around than the scott wheel. I would give you a copy of the F/A and pictures if you need them.