Replacement Door Handles

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

nmflyr

Replacement Door Handles

Post by nmflyr »

I recently purchased replacement door handles, after reading the article in the newsletter, from LMC trucks. They were not OEM handles. They were the wrong size, not splined correctly, used a phillips set screw to secure, rather than the original spring clips, and were made in Taiwan. It cost me $15 in shipping charges (total both ways) to find out this information. I hope this helps someone else who is considering purchasing these handles. They are not useable on the 170.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Replacement Door Handles

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

What newsletter issue? We will at the very least print a notice of what you found.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

I'm so sorry. Here we have already had two notices here at the forum that correct that information printed in the newsletter. Sometimes we just don't connect the dots and realize we need to get a correction printed and then follow through with the correct channels to insure it's done.

Here are links to those threads with information.

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... les#p77379
http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... les#p77378

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

nmflyr wrote:I recently purchased replacement door handles, after reading the article in the newsletter, from LMC trucks. They were not OEM handles. They were the wrong size, not splined correctly, used a phillips set screw to secure, rather than the original spring clips, and were made in Taiwan. It cost me $15 in shipping charges (total both ways) to find out this information. I hope this helps someone else who is considering purchasing these handles. They are not useable on the 170.

This error is entirely my fault. I failed to pick up on the fact that LMC had changed their latest catalog numbering, whilch led to the original article/printing-errorand also failed to send a correction to our publishing folks (Bruce and Jan) when I discovered the error. (I found out about it when Solomon contacted me to let me know LMC had changed their PN, which is when I posted the correction notice here in the forums.)

Bruce... can you please print a correction in the next Flypaper? Thanks.

nmflyer: I'll "credit" your next parts order from TIC170A $15.
(Not taking this error of mine cavalierly.... Of course, without the chevy parts info, you could have ordered the correct original parts from Cessna and paid $412 ea. plus shipping.) :wink:
I know. I know. It's danged frustrating when folks don't do their job correctly. I apologize for the error.

Question: Did you ever get the CORRECT handles? and what did the entire transaction cost you?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

gahorn wrote:Bruce... can you please print a correction in the next Flypaper? Thanks.
I emailed the notice to Jan last night and will be looking at proof time to ensure it's there.

jlwild

Post by jlwild »

George,

Thanks for stepping forward to correct the door handle issue and also crediting "nmflyr" on future TIC170A order. All of us love to give you a bad time, but we also know your soft heart and dedication to keeping our 170's flying. Also, thanks to Bruce and Jan to print a correction in the next newsletter.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.