Welcome to the upgraded forums

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Welcome to the upgraded forums

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Dale

Have you turned off the attachment feature? The option is not showing up for me today. I've insured I'm logged in.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Bruce,

I think the picture feature was turned off for you on purpose. It is an attempt to protect us from more "smiley faces".
I was up half the night with nightmares after that post! :lol:

Steve
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

This forum has come a long way with improvements since George first started it on Yahoo format.

Harold
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

N9149A wrote:Dale

Have you turned off the attachment feature? The option is not showing up for me today. I've insured I'm logged in.
No, not intentionally. Is anyone else having trouble?
Attachments
test.txt
(15 Bytes) Downloaded 417 times
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

Oops! I did find that some permissions got changed by accident. I'm still on the steep side of the learning curve.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Ok Dale I can post attachments again.

alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

Hey Dale,

How about making it so links open up in their own window, like the old forum. Unless the majority would rather not of course!

Thanks!
Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
Floats, Tundra Tires, and Skis
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

I'd just like to figure out how to go from one topic, with a new post since my last sign on, to the next in a section (pilot lounge,Hangar,etc) without having to go back to the section (pilot lounge,Hangar,etc) and selecting the next topic that has a new post since last sign in. If I select "first unread post" it just brings me to the last post in the topic I am currently in instead of the First unread post in the next topic. I don't know if I'm explaining so anyone else can understand.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

N2255D wrote:I'd just like to figure out how to go from one topic, with a new post since my last sign on, to the next in a section (pilot lounge,Hangar,etc) without having to go back to the section (pilot lounge,Hangar,etc) and selecting the next topic that has a new post since last sign in. If I select "first unread post" it just brings me to the last post in the topic I am currently in instead of the First unread post in the next topic. I don't know if I'm explaining so anyone else can understand.
What I do is start at the Board Index. I click on "View new posts". That gives me a listing of all new postings since my last visit (in all the Forums). I click on one I want to read and, when finished, use my browsers Back command to return to the list of posts.

Maybe others have found other ways of doing what you describe.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Walt I do the same as Dale descirbed. It works pretty well. When I click on a thread I just quickly scroll to the bottom to view the last post or sometimes several of the last posts. If the thread has several pages I click right on the last page and review just those posts with the scroll bar.

cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Dale,

Would it be possible to configure the software to open links in a separate window as the old software did? (Or is that something I can change in my preferences?) I was replying to a thread this morning and had to type it in three times before I got it submitted. I'm in the habit of doing a "Preview" when I write a reply, and I test any hyperlinks that I may have entered. I'm also in the habit of just closing the window after I've tested the link, which in the present configuration also closed the window to my forums session. :x (At least one good feature of the new system is that all I had to do was open a new window, go the forums and I was still logged in. 8) ) The second time I entered my reply and tested the link I was careful to use the "Back" button in my browser, but when I did, I got a "Page Expired" message. Reply gone again. :evil: The third time was a charm, but I didn't test the link before submittal.

Thanks in advance, Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Help!

What's the detail on the new search criteria? I've reviewed the FAQs and can't quite figure it out. It doesn't seem to follow the boolean (sp?) logic.

I'm thinking about upgrading my seat so I searched using the following words
seat and upgrade and foam

I would have expected to get results that have all 3 words. Instead I get results having any one of the words. Maybe more info on searching in the FAQs would be helpful.

And what's the symbol that's alluded to in the search FAQs that looks like a letter I?
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle it would seem from my tests that the Boolean search functions are not working.

Dale are you reading this?

The | in the search instructions I believe is the shifted \ key found just above your right return key. At least it worked for me but returned the same result as is I just searched for two words with no Boolean. So [bruce|george] found posts with the name bruce or george or with both the same as searching for" bruce george" so I don't know what the point of it is.

webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

cessna170bdriver wrote:Dale,

Would it be possible to configure the software to open links in a separate window as the old software did? ....
I haven't looked into it very deeply yet, but I suspect this is not an option. It's considered to be very poor practice when designing websites these days. I think it has to do with accessibility issues.

You can always override this by right clicking the link and choosing "open in a new window".

I'll look into it some more when I get a chance.

Dale
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:....And what's the symbol that's alluded to in the search FAQs that looks like a letter I?
I think it's called a pipe or, sometime, vertical bar. It's used to match one element or another. For example, to search for george or bruce you would use [george|bruce].

Dale